The Foundation Level qualification is aimed at professionals who need to demonstrate practical knowledge of the fundamental concepts of software testing. This includes people in roles such as test designers, test analysts, test engineers, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and IT Professionals.
The Foundation Level qualification is also appropriate for anyone who needs a basic understanding of software testing, such as project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts, IT directors and management consultants.
- Testing fundamentals and principles
- Standard test terminology
- Test life cycle (test levels, test types and maintenance testing)
- Static testing (types of reviews and static code analysis)
- Test design techniques (black-box techniques, white-box techniques and experienced-based techniques)
- Test management (e.g., test planning, risk-analysis, estimation and reporting)
- Test tools and test automation overview
- Preparation for the ISTQB Foundation exam
- Use a common test language for efficient and effective Communication
- Understand established concepts, the fundamental test process, test management test strategies/approaches, risks and principles to support test objectives
- Contribute in reviews of the test basis and test artifacts for complexity
- Analyse and prioritize both functional and non-functional specifications, such as performance efficiency and usability
- Design tests using established test design techniques at all test levels for systems of small to medium complexity
- Interpret and execute tests according to agreed test specifications and analyze and report on the results of tests independently
- Write and communicate clear and understandable incident reports
- Assist in the selection and implementation process of testing tools for various testing activities.
To get an ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation Level Certificate you must successfully pass the Foundation Exam. Upon successful completion of the exam, you will be issued with an ISTQB Foundation Level Certificate, which is internationally recognized. The exam aims to verify that the candidate has acquired the professional knowledge contained in the syllabus.
The Foundation Level exam is characterized by:
- 40 multiple-choice questions
- a scoring of 1 point for each correct answer
- a pass mark of 65% (26 or more points)
- a duration of 60 minutes (or 75 minutes for candidates taking exams that are not in their native or local language)